Choosing A Domain Name For Your Business
10 Easy Steps To Choosing A Domain Name
Choosing a domain name for your business or website requires a lot of thought and consideration. Your domain name is your identity on the Internet. Make sure you choose a domain name that not only fits your business but is also easy to find and promote.
1. Make it easy to type is a critical first step. You want the customers to find your site.
2. Keep it short. We always say short and simple is better. This is important because you don’t want the risk of customers mistyping or misspelling the name.
3. Use your first and last name. Be aware starting off this will not get you any of the good search engine juju. But there a couple of good reasons why it might be your best bet anyway. Number 1 Your business description doesn’t easily work with a domain name. Number 2 Your business revolves around you as a practitioner and personality. When your current client base recommends you to friends, they’re more likely to use your name than your business name.
4. If your business is local, target your area by including your city or state in your domain name. This will make it easy for local customers to find and remember.
5. Avoid numbers and hyphens. Numbers and hyphens are often misunderstood. People who hear your website address don’t know if you’re using a numeral (2) or it’s spelled out (two) or they misplace or forget the dash.
6. Use keywords that describe your business and the services you offer. Include keywords that people enter when searching to internet for your services or products. This will help improve your rank on the search engines and increase traffic.
7. Use an appropriate domain name extension. Extensions are suffixes, such as .com or .net, at the end of web addresses. The .com domain extension is the most popular and recommended.
Here are some other extensions and how they’re often used:
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .info : informational sites.
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
8. Act fast. Domain names sell quickly. Good news – they are inexpensive, so register your favorite domain name(s) as soon as possible. If you’re having trouble finding an available name, domain registrars like GoDaddy will suggest alternate names during your domain search to help you find the perfect domain name.
9. Be memorable. There are millions of registered domain names, so having a domain that’s memorable and catchy is essential. Talk with your friends to see what they think of the name. You want to make sure it sounds good to them and makes sense.
10. Have fun coming up with a name.
We use and recommend GoDaddy because not only is it a cheaper domain registrar but it is also very easy to set up with your website or marketing page. If you click the link here – you can get a .com name for $0.99 for the first year.